The MWS was launched in 2011 to provide NZ’s largest wine producing region with its own wine competition. The inaugural show was held at the beginning of September.
The objective is to demonstrate to the world’s wine media and global wine markets that Marlborough offers significant and valuable diversity through its wine styles and sub-regions.
The world continues to embrace Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and we continue to fuel this demand through the outstanding quality and style of the wines we make. To further encourage this, we need to showcase style diversity within this grape variety as well as demonstrate the diversity our region offers with other varieties.
The Marlborough Wine Show will review, assess and showcase style diversity and sub-regionality using a panel of professional, experienced judges. This will provide the following outcomes:
- Acknowledgment of and rewards for quality Marlborough wines
- Trophies, gold, silver and bronze medal awards
- Proof that Marlborough is about much more than Sauvignon Blanc
- Proof that there are a number of styles of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
- A review and assessment of older vintages
- A relevant, credible platform for Marlborough producers to promote their wines
- A celebration of excellence